Mr Piggy Bank and I are blessed in that we have never had to make the choice in our adult lives between heating and eating. For that, we are very grateful. We know however that others are not as fortunate.
We have however had to be extremely disciplined after realising that between a habit of drying clothes over overfilled radiators and my habit of insisting I was cold at a rather balmy 22 degrees and in imminent danger of dying… we were running up some seriously astronomical bills.
So here are some hints and tips to keep warm without the painful bills at the end.
1. Turn down the thermostat…..Now turn it down one degree more. This will save you a fortune in that one little move.
2. Got kids that like to turn the thermostat back up? Deduct their pocket money every time they touch it. Teach your kids the value of that action, and long term – they will thank you. Failing that, have them adopted.
3. Wear a jumper. Add layers. Layers trap air and keep you warm. In the evenings, snuggle under a duvet on the sofa, and… my personal favourite….Wear woolly socks. The super sexy ones. Preferably at all times. Honestly, id live in them if I could, but people at work seem to look at me very oddly when I try. Spoilsports.
4. Tinfoil folded (so double) behind radiators will reflect heat back into the house rather than escaping through the walls.
5. If possible, move furniture an inch or two further away from the radiator to allow hot air to circulate more.
6. Close off any rooms that you don’t use, and heat the ones you do.
7. Get an electric blanket.
8. Use hot water bottles
9. Put carpet/rugs down on hard floors
10. Bleed the radiators (basically let the air out) this makes a massive difference as if there is air in them they won’t get as hot.
11. Light candles in a room and keep the doors closed (surprisingly effective!)
12. Check for draughts and seal up any that you find, use draught excluders everywhere. “The sausages” you can get to sit along the bottom of doors make an enormous difference!
13. “Double glaze” the windows – there is a film you can buy that looks like cling film. The stuff is AMAZING! Apply it, stick a hairdryer on it, and it will keep your house infinitely warmer.
14. Get blankets – lots of them. Put them on the sofa to use in the evenings, extra blankets on the bed to keep you cosy.
15. Soup and hot drinks will keep you happy and warm from the inside out.
16. Get lined curtains up at every window, preferably thermal.
So there we go – 16 tips to keep you and yours snugly.
Miss Piggy Bank Xx